Tuesday, March 31, 2015

"Theresienstadt's Hospital" Butterfly, Stanley Suter



Once, happier people lived here
in the gray building
Now, death moves silently towards other creatures,
those with typhoid, who moan and writhe
in their own diarrhea,
who lie and don't understand
why they are being fed bread and margarine.
I enter and become silent.

"You shiny new doorknobs,
you pretty painted walls in the bright ward,
can you make up for the stench of excrement?
Can you appease the hunger
of those who are ashamed of their underwear,
and brought here to die,
day by day?

The paint looks at me
and doesn't answer.
"Why? I don't understand why!"
It seems the doorknob would say,
when it opened for me,
a free soul, with a full stomach,
"I can tell you
and then you will come to me!"

3 comments:

  1. Stan,
    I really like how you took the poem and made it into something more with you butterfly. I really liked how you incorporated the skull to represent the death slowly creeping in on it's victims.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stanley,
    Your butterfly, while looking seemingly simple, is so much more! I can tell that lots of effort was put into not only creating the butterfly, but also analyzing the poem and it's symbolism. I really liked how you had both sides of your butterfly as the different sides shown during the Holocaust. You had the side that explains what the Holocaust really was, full of death and terrors, and then the side that the nazis tried to convey in Terezin to the public, which is that they actually care about the Jews and their well being. It was a great contrast! Though, one of the most powerful and my favorite part of you butterfly, are the question marks. After reading your poem, I clearly saw the author was confused and wondering why the Nazis were trying to treat him well, when everything was so terrible for the prisoners. The question marks are perfect for symbolizing the questioning the author does about the Terezin camp. Overall, your butterfly was very impressive and I believe you really captured your poem in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commented on Julia, Gabe, Sarai, Nikolas, and Elenia.

    ReplyDelete