Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Night, By Stanley Suter

          Prompt- Who is your favorite character and why? Who is your least favorite character?

          This week we have started to read "Night", byt Elie Wiesel and so far I really like it. It is about this child who was taken away from his home at the age of twelve, and is going to be sent to a concentration camp. He lives in a town called "Sighet", where German forces have recently struck a deal with hungary allowing them to controll many of their cities. As the Facist party takes control of Sighet, they group the Jews in Ghettos in order to segregate them from the general public after making laws specifically for Jews by penalty of death. I have only read the first chapter, but so far I really like the book.

          My favorite character so far would be the main character. Even though I haven't read much of the book, I can tell what type of person he is. He studies hard and gets education outside of both school and the permission of his father. He has strong respect for his father, and refuses to be seperated from the rest of his family when they have the chance to escape and be free. They deal with the oncoming danger without getting on anyone's nerves. He is helpful when he is requested to wake up his neighbors, warning them of the movement to a concentration camp away from the front lines of the war. He is a strong moral character.

          My least favorite character is "Moishe the Beatle." He has a cool name, but his attempts to warn everybody of the German's wrongdoing are in vain. He acts insane, seemingly over exadurating and giving up after a while. However, he does inform the Elie that the Germans were forming a genocide, and that he only survived because he broke his leg and had been left to die. Regardless of this, if I were him I would have tried harder to stay calm and warn them of the German hatred towards my religion in an attempt to save them.

No comments:

Post a Comment