Wednesday, April 16, 2014

"Of Mice and Men" Stanley Suter

        *Prompt* Does the title fit the story? Why or why not?

        This week I have been reading "Of Mice and Men" and I really like it. We are already half way through the book and the main characters have just been introduced. I really like how the book started, with Lennie and George getting ready to start their job as a migrant worker, after getting in trouble, in the last town, Weed. Now the have gotten to the farm, and the work's nice, but the people are really violent and shady.

        For the most part, the title doesn't fit the story. The main animal in the book would be either a dog, or a rabbit, definitely not a mouse. Other than the fact that Lennie carries a dead mouse in his pocket, the mouse really isn't in the story. And so far, the plot lines has been absolutely un changed by that. However, it could mean something symbolic in one of the characters.

        The part about "Men" does make sense. All of the workers on the ranch are men, and over all, only one woman even lives on the land. Also, if the title was symbolic, it would make sense, George is the man, and Lennie is the mouse, because he acts so small. Lennie also has the mind of a child, so they could be referring to his compared to Georges mind, in that his is so small, compared to Georges being so big.

2 comments:

  1. I commented on Elenia, Nadrian, and Isabelle R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog. I agree with you that the title has little meaning unless it symbolizes something. I also like how you summarize the book at the beginning. Even though I already read what you are summarizing it refreshes my memory and helps me under stand the rest of the blog.

    ReplyDelete