Wednesday, February 26, 2014

"Mr.Tucket", Stanley Suter

 *Prompt - How did the reading make you feel? Why?

        This week I've read "Mr.Tucket" by Gary Paulson and I really like the book. It all starts on a wagon ride to Utah, on Francis Tucket's birthday. He gets a rifle from his father and strays far behind the group practicing when a group of hostil indians take hit to their tribe to make hit a slave. When another man, Mr.Grimes, saves him. They set off to try to find both his family and make beaver pelts, when the Pawnee leader comes after them and they are forced to a duel. Mr.Grimes wins and skins the leaders face.

        I hated Mr.Grimes when he skinned the Leaders face because I felt he was just going too far and it mortified Francis. Destroying a dead man's face isn't cool, especially if you knew him. Then, as Francis rides away as fast as he can, he doesn't even follow him to make sure he got back to his family. He just watched the last time he would probably ever see the boy. Thats what angered me. How can you not follow the kid you practically fathered for a year?

        I liked the part of the book where Mr.Grimes didn't make snappy remarks or was as on edge as the rest of the book. When they where trapping beavers, and their only worry was to cover the tracks so other people didn't follow. It made me happy when Mr.Grimes's friends came and Francis held a gun on them for a solid hour, making them think he was a full grown man, when he was only 14. The Mr.Grimes came and explained the situation to them, showing them how a 14 year lod boy stopped them in their tracks, and kept them there for an hour. I think that that was the high of the book.

5 comments:

  1. I commented on Gabe, Amelia, Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stanley,
    Very well written blog indeed! I like how you gave parts in the book that you felt strongly about and went in-depth on why you feel that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog. I agree with how you feel about the book. I also think skinning someones face is not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard that this book is on the list of the classic books of all time. I liked how you were honest when you sured your feelings about the main characters. I hate it when some people lie about their own opinions. It was great that you put which event was the "high" of the book and it seems this book is based during the Dust Bowl. Does this book have to do with the Oregon Trail? Great Blog Post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you a Gary Paulsen fan? What age group would you recommend this book to?

    ReplyDelete