Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Ripper, By Stanley Suter

        Prompt-Character development

        This week I finished the book, Ripper and I absolutely loved it. At the end of the book Carver finds out that his mentor, Mr.Hawking, is actually his dad. After he finds out he goes ballistic and starts trying to get back at Hawking. He meets up with him on a subway and saves everyone on the train, and then fights his father. He got his father chained up with a new special type of handcuff and it looks like he's going to end it, when they can slow down the train. He jumps and later finds out his dad broke his wrist and got free. I'm sorry, but kind of a disappointing ending.

        The first character I would like to talk about is Commissioner Roosevelt. He really adds a lot of imagery to the story. He is the wealth of New York, invited to all the parties and always wearing very fancy three piece suits. Through the story every place he goes is suddenly organized and never negative (unless he's upset). He's the head of the police force and is very formal up until the fight preceding the final battle. He adds the imagery of the book as very grand, formal, and usually very respectful (again, preceding the final battle).

        The other character that I would like to talk about is Carver young, the main character and the son of the Ripper. He happens to be very intelligent, well educated, and clever. However he is also a street rat basically through the entire book. He escapes from a sewer full of freezing cold snow water that would have given him hypothermia. Carver is easily spotted at one of Roosevelt's parties, mainly because of his clothes and the way he acts. He adds the imagery of a wild dog, unclean and loud, but very intelligent. 

4 comments:

  1. I heard about this book last year I believe it has to deal with an old urban legend. I liked how added all the characters in the book and how they connect to the imagery created in the story. I find it surprising that one student's mentor or teacher at the end could result to be their parent. Does Commissioner Roosevelt have to do with Theodore Roosevelt? Great Blog Post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good blog this week. i liked you description of the characters and how you incorporated imagery into their descriptions. Many people that I know have read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! I read this book and this blog helped refresh my memory. I like how you focus on characters. That helps make your blog easier to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I commented on Steven, Elenia, and Diego

    ReplyDelete