Friday, September 26, 2014

Banned Book Read Out, "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" By-Stanley Suter




Script-          Hello, I’m Stanley Suter. This week is banned books week and in honor of it I have chosen the banned book “Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets” to talk about.

                    “Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets” was a book that greatly changed me. When I was in 3rd grade, I absolutely hated reading. I thought it was time wasting to learn about other people, especially at that level with the stories that third graders read. You know how was, “Tom went the the store. He bought milk. Then, he dropped it and the container exploded, but he still had to pay for it! The end.” Maybe not the middle sentence, but again, you know what I mean. At that age, books where extremely redundant, and so I found them boring. Then, a close family friend sent me three Harry Potter books, #2, #4, and #5 (don’t ask me why). And because it was the first book I owned from young adult literature, I started reading it.

                    I loved it immediately. Over the summer, I timed myself reading and I had surpassed 26 hours in 4th grade with just that book. Now, the reason I have been talking about the book is because for a while now, it has been banned. For reasons that seem so silly, but they had taken hold. It had been banned for having witch craft and they feel it set a bad example. Some parents thought that the book was not age appropriate because it had witchcraft, which most people view as dark. I can show you that they are wrong, directly from the book.

                    I chose this quote because it shows how lighthearted the book really is. I would understand if the book was banned because it had black magic, or really violent parts in the story, but it is rated young adult, and if they can’t handle something as nice as Harry Potter, maybe they should look for help. I do not think that Harry Potter was banned for a valid reason, simply because it has nothing very offensive or explicit in the entire series.

6 comments:

  1. I commented on Julia, Nadrian, Giana, and Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stanley,
    Nice Vlog! I like how you talked about your experience with this book, and why you chose to read it! The example you gave of books that were usually offered to third graders, while not entirely accurate, really helped bring your point across on why you wanted to read a more advanced book! I never knew that Harry Potter was banned for witch craft! I haven't actually read the book, but like you, I think that, that is a stupid reason for the book to be banned. Also, was just "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" banned, or were the other books in the series banned as well? Anyways, great job on your blog this week, I really learned a lot because I am not very familiar with Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stanley,
    I really enjoyed watching your vlog! I liked how you talked about not liking to read and how when you got the Harry Potter Books you enjoyed to read. We can see that this series means something to you and that you allowed you to start to enjoy reading. i also like how you used some humor in you blog to lighten it up a bit. I found it shocking when you said that it was banned. I never knew that! I thought that if anything it would be challenged but banned, wow! Great job on the blog!

    - Gianna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your vlog. I like how you gave us a little information on why you chose to read Harry Potter and why it really affected you. I agree with you when you said you did not understand why this book would be banned, based on black magic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had NO idea that Harry Potter was banned, and for such a ridiculous reason! I enjoyed watching your vlog and liked how you added your own experience to it, good job!

    ReplyDelete