Wednesday, January 22, 2014

"Unstoppable" SPOILER ALRT. Stanley Suter

*Prompt*- Explain how you have been surprised by what your reading.

        This week I finished the book Unstoppable by Tim Green and I both liked and disliked it. It was a very good story, a superstar foster child, Harrison, is forced to work and ends up accidentally killing his "dad". He was beaten non-stopped until he was saved and transfered to a much nicer family. They don't make him work and let him play football, his life dream. Then one day he is hit in the knee with a helmet and can't do anything without being bothered. Harrison is taken to a hospital and is thought only to have a small tear in the cartilage in his knee. However when they take the MRI he is found to have bone cancer. Finally he goes into surgery to get the tumor removed and when he wakes up he can't find his leg, its gone.

        I was surprised at how he acted, saying that his parents didn't have to keep him if he couldn't play. He acted as though they wouldn't keep him even though he should have known, they where such nice people and obviously loved him so much they wouldn't give him away! They took him in and wanted him to call them mom and dad but yet I think he had this feeling that he wasn't family and was expendable. This also raises the thought that he didn't think he was like family because he worried he would be given away if he did anything wrong.


        I also think that it was surprising how they would take his leg off without asking him first. He could decide wether he wanted to be legless or maybe somehow find another way he could live. I would feel like they totally disregarded my thoughts on the matter. To take off my leg when all I thought was happening in the operation to take out a healable part . Then, what made me really angry was the part where they couldn't find the medicine to help push away the sickness and make him feel much less nauseous. He was in total pain for about two weeks before he was able to go home. To take off my leg and not be able to supply comfort is just, well cruel.

9 comments:

  1. I commented on Nik, Diego, and Abdiel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe... didn't spell alert right, but it looks good.

      Delete
  2. Good Blog this week! I like how you explained what was happening really well. You explained your prompt well also! Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog post this week! I like how you described the book and admitted that you both liked and disliked the book. That happens to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good blog. You did a good job following the prompt. I have read this book before and I like it. I also found it frustrating when he was struggling in the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you add the stuff on the side?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This seems like an interesting book. The main character seems to have a lot going through his life. It's understandable why he worried about being left my his "mom" and "dad." Anyway, nice blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the word choice you used in your blog. The part about how the doctors didn't even ask him if he wanted his leg removed makes me mad, too. I mean, don't they make you sign a waver before the surgery in case they have to? Even if the doctors didn't think it going to result in having his leg amputated they still should've told him the risks. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would you recommend this book to others?

    ReplyDelete