Tuesday, November 12, 2013

11/13/2013 "Hatchet" pages 0-155

*Prompt*- Does the title fit the story? Why or why not?

        This week I was reading "Hatchet' by Gary Paulson. It all started when Brian flew over the Canadian wilderness, and guess what? The Pilot has a heart attack. So Brian quickly grabs the controlls and loses his sense of direction. Luckily, Brian is somewhat of a nerd, so he knows the basic controlls for the plane and is able to steer. When he notices his fuel is running low and he has lost all contact to the outside world, he lands the plane safely in the water. From there he starts his fight for food, shelter, and eventually, comfort.

        When Brian wakes up, the plane is gone and the sun is rising. He was tought from an old science teacher that the best way to solve a problem, is to lay out all possible answers and never forget that your most useful tool is himself. He has a torn windbreaker, a hatchet, shoelaces, shoes, casual clothes, and never forget, himself! (Cheezy) He quickly makes a lean to and finds enough food to last him for a while, even making fire using the steel end of the hatchet and some flint rock located inside of the leanto.

        I think that the title is not fitting for several reasons. For one, the story has a nice amount to do with Brian finding the hatchet but it could have as easily been Survival or Gone. Also it seems that he uses the Hatchet much less at the end of the book, he learnes to fish and makes a semi-effective bow. He was just hit and hurt by a moose, then tornado, and his whole camp is destroyed. Another possible title that has a great deal to do with the story would be The Rebirth  or something along those lines because when he gets back from his "trip" he is totally changed physically and mentally.

10 comments:

  1. Stanley,
    I read the first few pages of Hatchet quite a while back. I forgot what it was about until I remembered reading your blog. You described the crashing scene well. I'm kind of confused on why it's called "Hatchet" You made a good point on changing the book title. Nice blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year when I was trying to find a book the librarian gave me synopsis about the book Hatchet. I like how you gave your own comments about the book and did Brian even know how to fly the plane. In my opinion I think it's called Hatchet because he stuck in the wilderness with nothing except a Hatchet. You did a great job telling us how the action scene took place. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read Hatchet a few times and have never thought about this. I also like your summery. Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was in fifth grade, it was mandatory we read the book. At first I didn't understand the title, nut once you come closer to the ending you will understand the whole concept behind the hatchet. I also think that the title is more of a hook to get people to read the book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read this book before. I liked it. The title will make sense later in the book. But I can see why it would not fit early on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've now finished it and I understand why they called it "Hatchet" but still, there are several other very possible names for the book.

      Delete
  6. I was in fourth grade when I read this book and I enjoyed it very much. I recommend you reading "Brian's Winter" and "The River" because is goes along with this book. What's your favorite part of book so far? Later on, you will see why the book is called Hatchet. I liked how you described parts of the book. If I never would've read this book, it would've been next on my list to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stanley,
    The way you started the beginning of the blog was a great way to start any sort of blog. I liked the way that you gave several reasons that the book did not fit the title.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This week I commented on Amelia, Diego, and Carlos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My first question is where Brian was going when eh was on the plane. Was he visiting family? Was he moving? My other question is how there was a hatchet on the plane. Isn't it against the law to bring weapons on a plane? Or was it just in the area he was in? Great blog!

    ReplyDelete